matz / netlab.co.jp (Yukihiro Matsumoto) writes:

> In message "[ruby-talk:01500] Permissions bits on non-Unix platforms"
>     on 00/02/18, Andrew Hunt <Andy / Toolshed.Com> writes:
>
> |How are file permissions handled on non-Unix platforms?  From
> |some brief testing it seems that all you can do on Windows is
> |make a file read-only or not.  What about Mac, BeOS, etc?
>
> Ruby on non-UNIX platforms highly depend on their UNIX (POSIX)
> emulation, e.g. Cygwin, DJGPP, etc.  Behavior for UNIX depend features
> are defined by the emulation libraries.

I guess we were wondering how much detail people feel we should go in
to here. If it was just a Unix implementation, we could say things
like "see the chmod(2) man page", but that doesn't work
cross-platform. So, do people feel we need to lay out every option for
every implementation, or do you think that users are smart enough to
extrapolate the small details?

Dave