Forgive me if I am coming in late on this post but:
> > ran ruby setup.rb and it kinda
> > hung with an error... and it half-installed...
What was the error?

I had some strange errors when installing rubygems on OSX also.  I
didn't have much luck changing the path so to get it working, I
renamed the ruby directory in /usr/bin and like you, created a symlink
to /usr/local/bin/ruby.  Rubygems then installed properly but I had to
make sure that I installed it as superuser.

If you plan to install rails or anything like that, you'll need to
create another symlink in usr/bin to usr/local/bin/rails.

Good luck,
Eddie