On 8/2/05, Dibya Prakash <prakash.dibya / gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/2/05, Austin Ziegler <halostatue / gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 8/2/05, Dibya Prakash <prakash.dibya / gmail.com> wrote:
> > > HI All,
> > > Is there any specific reason that Java and BREW are the only languages
> > > that are used?Or the requisite libraries are not available?
> > > Plz let me know.
> > Often because the phones are built to satisfy network providers'
> > needs, and *they* don't want users to be able to put programs that
> > might cause problems on their phones.
> Do you mean to some benchmark standards?

I wish. I mean "I control the network, therefore I control what goes
on your phone." Some wireless vendors will disable the IR on a phone
because they only want people to sync using their ($$$$-add-on) data
cable. The same goes for applications that might otherwise circumvent
vendor restrictions.

There *is* an upside. In theory, this vendor control would prevent
phone virii. In practice, though, it won't necessarily do any such
thing.

-austin
--
Austin Ziegler * halostatue / gmail.com