"jm" <jeffm / ghostgun.com> wrote...

> On 01/08/2005, at 5:44 PM, Caleb Clausen wrote:
>
>>> Has anyone given any thought to what ruby needs to make it reach lower
>>> into
>>> areas where even now C/C++ and assembler are used?
>>
>> You look at zenspider's stuff yet?
>
> I've been watching this and yarv with interest. I've tried yarv, but not
> zenspider's stuff as I've been waiting for a stable release and possible a
> how-to or walk through. Yet, this  is just bolting C closer to ruby. It's
> like inline assembler. Don't get me wrong it should make it a lot easier
> to write extensions for ruby - especially those that are merely for speed
> gains.

That doesn't sound like Ruby2C. From http://rubyforge.org/projects/ruby2c/ -

ruby2c is a subset of the metaruby project, which aims at rewriting ruby's
internals in ruby. ruby2c is the translation module and can automatically
translate a method into equivalent C code for a subset of ruby. Very BETA,
but making rapid progress.

I think it is kind of what you're looking for.

Cheers,
Dave