In article <42EDEE73.1060502 / it.fts-vn.com>,
Kev Jackson  <kevin.jackson / it.fts-vn.com> wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>We're about to start a project and we need to be able to parse RTL
>files.  We want to use ruby, but to save effort we're looking for a
>pre-built open-source parser for RTL grammar.  If not we'll have to
>write our own (no big problem - it'd be an interesting learning
>experience at least!).
>
>So first, are there any tools we should be looking at to help us out?
>(we're looking at coco-ruby and parsetree at the moment)

I've been wondering about wrapping the Icarus Verilog parser (I believe
it's in C).  I haven't looked into it much, but if Icarus' parser is
easily seperable from the simulation parts it could be a good way to go.
Swig might be a good way of doing this.

>Second, if there are no tools currently available and we can build a
>Ruby RTL parser would anyone be interested in us releasing it? (I only
>work here, I'm not sure if the company would allow us to, but if it's
>possible would people be interested?)

Definitely.  Though, I'm more of a VHDL person, I would like to see some
sort of 'Ruby for EDA' website sometime in the future.

Phil