Hal Fulton wrote:

> It would be a service to others if you kept notes on what it
> took to get Ruby working well on the Zaurus...

Will do. The last time I used the Zaurus was back in '03 before I
discovered Ruby. Then I used the Zaurus for testing out features like
wireless VoIP phone calling, web browser client apps, remote server
admin working using SSH and VNC, and I recall even having a Windows
Terminal Server client on it. Most of the work was just seeing what all
I could put on the thing. It was cool using it as a mySQL server, an
Apache server, etc. and also compiling programs on it. The main thing I
recall about the SL-5500 was the battery life being horrid. That's why
I didn't recommend deploying it to our salesforce as a VoIP phone that
they could use for sales lookups. With wifi enabled I'd be lucky to get
an hour and a half out of it.

The newer SL-6000 model has wifi internally available and it appears to
have longer battery life from what I hear. Then Sharp also has Japanese
models like their C-7xx and C-8xx series that provide a VGA screen,
clamshell design, etc. and another model that even has an internal 4 GB
HDD. Of course these run over $800 US so for that price I could almost
get a Fujitsu P1000 subnotebook with a touch display. But for about
$150 for the Zaurus and another $20 for a battery extender I should
have a cheap toy to try to put to use again.