Wolfgang N_dasi-Donner wrote:

[blurb about named groups in regular expressions]

I hope that the people responsible for the regular-expression code in
Ruby 2.0 read http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2002/06/04/apo5.html before
going along with a Perl-5-inspired syntax with hopelessly ugly
extensions (I'm sorry, but \k<name> and \g<name> are just horrendous).
Perl 6”Ēs way of defining grammars is quite neat and simple to
understand.  I also have some ideas for a better syntax, which is
inspired by the afforementioned document, but I have yet to release
anything (it was part of my master”Ēs thesis),
        nikolai