On 7/29/05, Cam <cameron.matheson / gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/29/05, rubyhacker / gmail.com <rubyhacker / gmail.com> wrote:
> > It's been done. See these search results:
> >
> >   http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.lang.ruby/search?q=zaurus&
> >
> > However, I think this platform has rather limited memory -- difficult
> > to do a "fat" Ruby install. And I think the GUI is fairly proprietary
> > (as with most PDAa) so I don't know if there are Ruby bindings
> > for it.
>
> I thought this interface was just qtopia?  I think (could be wrong,
> i've never owned a zaurus), but i was under the impression that qt
> apps will work (so as long as you could get the ruby bindings ported
> to strongARM or whatever it is i think you couls just write w/ the qt
> ruby bindings)

There are other options too. Some people run a Debian ARM install off
of an SD card. There are also some advanced ROMs for other models.
Specifically the SL-C***[*] models that support running pdaXrom and
some even OpenBSD. I've compiled ruby on my SL-C760 (running pdaXrom)
many times and cross-compiled a few. It seems to work great.

Brian.