Rubyforge now has a "onewire" project with source in CVS that will
build on Linux (including Debian packages) and Windows. The Windows
version isn't tested yet.

The API has methods to enumerate IButtons, read and write memory
buttons, and control those with a real-time clock.

I'll upload precompiled packages when I've finished testing, but
I wanted to know if anyone else has the DS2480-based serial port
adapter, and is willing to help test the software. If you do, it's
a simple matter of (Linux shell or cygwin):

export CVSROOT=:ext:YourName / rubyforge.org:/var/cvs/onewire
export CVS_RSH=ssh
cvs co src
cd src/owpd300
make
cd ..
ruby extconf.rb
make

and you're done in under a minute. Substitute "dpkg-buildpackage"
for the last make and you'll get Debian packages.

Let me know whether you succeed or have problems.

Clifford Heath.