Hi all,

What's the deal with all the different versions of
http://pleac.sourceforge.net/pleac_ruby/patternmatching.html on the
web? I've found that the most complete document and most helpful on
this sort of Ruby regular expression tutelage.

It seems like documentation on adopting sed to Ruby would be helpful.
[I'll write something if I ever understand it.]

Surprise: I'm trying to adapt some sed scripts into Ruby programs. I'd
like feedback on how to make them more idiomatic/Rubylicious and help
on making 2nd one work.

Here's my essential program for a line of sed that seems to work
correctly. I dunno if there's a better way to express it:

sed:
s/MATCH/GLOBAL REPLACEMENT/g

ruby:
#!/usr/bin/env ruby

files = ARGV

files.each do |arg|
  f = File.open(arg)
  puts "\nOpening file #{f}"
  working_file = f.read

  working_file.gsub!(/MATCH/,'GLOBAL REPLACEMENT')

  puts "\nDoing ACTION in #{arg}"
  f = File.new(arg, "w")
  puts "\nWriting #{f} now"
  f.print(working_file)
  f.close

Here's the one I have problems with (we had a working Perl equivalent
but are trying to abandon Perl).

sed:
/BEGIN RANGE/,/END RANGE/{
        s/MATCH/REPLACEMENT/g
}

ruby:
[same beginning]
  if working_file =~ /BEGIN RANGE/ .. working_file =~ /END RANGE/
    # INCLUSIVE use ... if you want non inclusive
    working_file.sub!(/MATCH/,'REPLACEMENT')
  end
[same ending]
but don't really follow it.

I've come up with the following as a tentative replacement but it's not
setting 'aline' in 'working_file' after it substitues it.

[same beginning]
  working_file.each do |aline|    # Read each line, right?
    if aline =~ /BEGIN RANGE/ .. aline =~ /# end of CellContent/
      aline.sub!(/Cell/,'CellHeading2')
[same ending]
-----------------

[Running up against my own ignorance now of the range thingie]
Here's my failing test:
#!/usr/bin/env ruby
files = ARGV
files.each do |arg|
  f = File.open(arg)
  puts "\nOpening file #{f}"
  working_file = f.read
  puts "Subsitutions occuring now"
  working_file.each do |aline|
    if aline =~ /BEGIN RANGE/ .. aline =~ /END RANGE/
      aline.sub!(/MATCH/,'REPLACEMENT')
      puts "#{aline}"
  puts "\nOutput of working_file"
  puts "#{working_file}"