Lately I've found myself using pseudo-anonymous variables a lot, e.g.,
something like this:

[[1, 2], [2, 3], [3, 4]].each{ |first, _| fs << first }

The idea is that I'm not interested in the second part of the internal
arrays, only the first.  The lowline works, but obviously for one
parameter, as it is a valid identifier.  I was thinking whether Ruby 2.0
should introduce I-don't-care-type variables, like Haskell or Prolog
has.  It would make all identifiers beginning with a lowline invalid,
except in parameter-lists, which could mean too much incompatability
with Ruby 1.x, but perhaps it's worth at least some thought?,
        nikolai