I tried messing with the sock, it didn't seem to do anything.

Here's something possibly relevant, though: The server has both
Ruby/MySQL (pure Ruby version) and MySQL/Ruby (C extension) installed.
I wrote a test script that can use either, and it works fine with
Ruby/MySQL and bombs with MySQL/Ruby. I've also found other posts in
ruby-talk that say essentially "MySQL/Ruby doesn't work, don't use it."

So, is there anyway of coercing DBI to specify using "mysql.rb" as a
driver instead of "mysql"? I'd skip DBI entirely if it weren't for the
fact that Lafcadio uses it. (Probably foolishly so, I'd say at this
point.)