* Forrest Chang <fkc_email-news / yahoo.com> [2005-07-27 12:06:00 +0900]:

>    Just wondering who's an emacs user that's going to RubyConf.
>
>    I'd like to see what folks are doing and distill the best practices,
> as well as ideas on additions to make emacs even better for developing in ruby.

Forrest, I think that is a great idea. And, as a non emacs user,
but a potential emacs user, I would appreciate if someone could
give a 15-30minute overview of all the cool things that you can
do with emacs and ruby.
Some of the things I have heard you can do with emacs, but have
never seen are:
  run ruby code that you are editing
  run snippets of ruby code
  have run ouput brought up in emacs window
  run ri inside emacs
  run irb inside emacs
  run tests and have emacs jump to location of a failure
  run ruby in debug mode
  run a shell inside emacs - not ruby related

Having something that demonstrate how to configure and use these
options for a newby would be very compelling. One of the things
that has kept me from learning emacs is the time that it would
take to learn it beyond what one could get from pico.
(No, I don't use pico. ;)  )

--
Jim Freeze