"Jim Freeze" <jim / freeze.org> responded...
>* Dave Burt <dave / burt.id.au> [2005-07-26 23:01:00 +0900]:
>
> I like this layout. If the algorith could be made to

Thanks!

> use '+' instead of '`-', it would work perfectly for

That's a one-byte change: find the line that contains "`-" and replace it
with "+-".

Unfortunately, the algorithm itself is very heap-specific, but there's no
reason you can't generate the same layout from a different data structure.

> describing a directory structure in a way that you commonly
> see.

I don't think I've ever seen quite this layout before - with layers lined up
horizontally; I think Florian's is more common:
  1
  +---3
  `---2

Cheers,