Nope. mkmf is a Ruby module (which, surprisingly enough, also makes
makefiles). I never downloaded the ICQ lib, but Ruby extensions which need
to be compiled usually include a script called extconf.rb which must be
launched to generate a makefile (and which uses the mkmf package to do so).
You can then use such makefile to build your Ruby extension.
mkmf should be included in your Ruby installation under
something/lib/ruby/1.6 or whatever you version is. If it is there, I
suspect there is more than I wrote to compile that particular module...

Bye,
         Luigi