For those who are encountering setup problems:

If you are trying to setup ruby on rails on Windows using mysql and you
see this

ActiveRecord::StatementInvalid Select COUNT(*)

Check out this page here:
http://wiki.rubyonrails.com/rails/show/MySQL+Database+access+problem

Specifically check out this advice:

>I have the same problem.
>Including the same error as above when trying to install mysql >extension via gem.
>I also tried to comment old_password in my.ini file and to create >a new rails user, but it didn`t work.
>However, using my old user/password and commenting the line
>require 'active_record/vendor/mysql411' from mysql_adapter.rb >worked for me.
>BTW: mysql 4.1.12 and windows.

For whatever reason this wasn't being picked up by the Google index;
hopefully that will change with this post.