In article <42e42063$0$24974$afc38c87 / news.optusnet.com.au>,
Clifford Heath  <no / spam.please.net> wrote:
>I'm writing some stuff to handle a couple of different IButtons
>(memory, clock) using the Dallas/Maxim serial port adapter (the
>new one which uses the DS2480 chip). This adapter and others are
>well supported by a rather grubby C API, and I couldn't bring
>myself to work in C only. So I've created a Ruby extension to
>wrap it. Or at least the bits I've needed so far...
>
>Just thought I'd put out a feeler to see if there's interest in it
>from others out there. Especially if someone wants to extend or
>maintain it... ;-). I know that the one-wire interface is used by
>a number of commercial and home-brew weather stations, for example,
>and also in temperature monitoring. I can't add support for those
>devices since I don't own either.
>
>As far as I can tell, the API it wraps doesn't seem to allow
>linking programs that can choose which driver to use at run time.
>You must link it to use the USB driver *or* the serial driver :-(.
>I don't plan to fix this, so the Ruby wrapper will be only for the
>serial driver that I have.

Sounds cool!  I don't have time to play with it right now, but definitely
will look at it in the future (would something like this be usable for
monitoring aquarium parameters?).  Please go to RubyForge.org and request
a new project there and at least upload the code.

Phil