Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:
> The idea has been considered for several times, but I haven't come up
> with the "right" syntax and the behavior.

Yes, "right" is the hard part. I suppose we could break down the
possibilities:

1. The mechinism must be either a part of the _call_ or the _def_. An
example of a call mechanism:

  class A
    def f
      A\g  # Peter's Syntax
    end
    def g
      "in g"

A possible downside to a call mechinism is that the method is still
part of the inheritance chain. On the upside the syntax can be used to
call specific acestor's methods (i.e. bypassing the direct parent,
which #super dosen't allow).

2. If a _def_ mechinism, then it must either declared or via a syntax
variant. An example of declared:

  class A
    def f
    def g
      "in g"
    end
    local :g
  end

Here's an example of a syntax variant derived from the private instance
vars proposal (eg. @_x):

  class A
    def f
      _g