>This variable is an array of directories in which Ruby
>looks for scripts if you call require. Per default the following
>pathes are in $LOAD_PATH:
>  /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/?1.8
>  /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/?1.8/i686-linux
>  /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby
>  /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8
>  /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/i686-l?inux

"Per default"... what if I install to another directory other than
/usr/local/lib?  I'm having a problem now where I configured Ruby with
--prefix=/home/mydirectory and none of my require statements work
(trying to install rubygems).

I'm thinking there's either something seriously wrong with Ruby or I
need some real documentation.  Where can I find out more (online) about
'require' and how it finds files?   I've gone so far as to add $: =
'/home/mydirectory/lib/ruby/1.8' and other paths but 'require' still
acts stupid and won't find any of the files unless I add the specific
path to each and every file that ruby installed as part of its base
package.  I find that a bit odd, and now that I have this problem I
find it odd that I can't find a good language reference online.

Help needed!

Thanks,

Patrick Price