hi,

meruby / gmail.com wrote:
> created any big program. My vision is to make qtruby easy enough that
> end user don't have to think about another api for guil; if they know
> ruby, they should be able to use qtruby without spending days to learn
> its api.

it would be great to have a generic api for gui toolkits like qt,
gtk/gnome, tk etc.. is anyone working on this?

most gui-apis for ruby are designed starting with the original api
and map this into ruby-space. so what about to design the other way
around. starting with ruby and all its features to create an easy,
dynamic and well documented api and then attach the toolkits as backends
to it. this has a lot of advantages:

- the api exploits the whole power of ruby and 'feels' like ruby
- this api could come with the official ruby releases
   together with a small backend (tk?)
- the user only has to learn one easy api
- ...and can use the toolkit which fits best to his environment
   (kde, gnome, windows, ...)
- each backend is only installed, if it's needed and can be
   maintained seperately

i used ruby-gnome2 (and its gnome-canvas) a bit and would really
appreciate a cleaner and more generic api. i'll check out ezgtk,
maybe that's a start?

RY
Stefan