Hal,
  Most of the gui toolkit in dynamic language has its origin in C or
C++. Because of its origin, its api are more static and less dynamic
(less pythonic or rubyish).
  In python world, wxPython is an interface written on top of wxgtk
(C++). To make it more dynamic and pythonic api, wax (other one is
pythoncard) is written on top of it.
Visit http://zephyrfalcon.org/labs/dope_on_wax.html  "Wax is a GUI
toolkit. It sits on top of wxPython, removing some of the low-level
aspects of that GUI, and adding some useful abstractions." Google
summer of code allow not one but two coders to work on wax to make it
better and improve documentation
http://zephyrfalcon.org/labs/wax_summer_of_code.html

Now sad part: I have some knowledge on qtruby and very little on Qt. I
haven't program in C or C++ for ages. In a way its blessing, since I
love to work in dynamic language, I can't stand working in static
language like C, C++, C#, Java and such. I can not give you specific
example about what I want to do with qtruby, because I have never
created any big program. My vision is to make qtruby easy enough that
end user don't have to think about another api for guil; if they know
ruby, they should be able to use qtruby without spending days to learn
its api.