From: Clemens Hintze <c.hintze / gmx.net>

> Yukihiro Matsumoto writes:
> > Hi,
> >
> > In message "[ruby-talk:01488] Discussion happens on news.groups"
> >     on 00/02/18, Clemens Hintze <c.hintze / gmx.net> writes:
> >
> > |I do not know whether you are aware of the fact, that there is an
> > |on-going discussion about the RFD of comp.lang.ruby. At the moment it
> > |looks not too sweet for us, IMHO.
> >
> > My site does not subscribe news.groups, so that I don't know what is
> > going on there.  But what can I do for comp.lang.ruby?
>
> Hmm! If not you, then perhaps other could also mention they would like
> to see a comp.lang.ruby.
>
> BTW: While I am writing this, I am wonder, whether you are special
>      in the sense that you are the *creator* of Ruby. And indeed, you
>      would have interest in such a group. So perhaps "me-too" articles
>      of any other friend would count much more than yours. (Sorry! It
>      is not meant as insult ... :-) You could answer questions, of
>      course, but perhaps it would be better to *not* participate on
>      such discussions of the RFD? Let us do it! But, of course, if you
>      have any idea let us know ...

But it would still be a good idea for Matz to be involved in Ruby languages
discussions on comp.lang.misc.

Let's not worry too much about the discussions of the RFD for a week or two
and concentrate instead of moving mail list traffic over to comp.lang.misc.
If we get enough traffic, then we don't need to worry about debating people.

(Also many people on news.groups simply like opposing things, so you will
never be able to convince more than maybe half the people there, and the
ones that might agree with you will rarely post. But in the end, I think it
will be the votes that count. Usually a hundred or so people vote there, so
if we get a few hundred Ruby fans to vote, that should be sufficient.)

In any case, we have plenty of time to think things over. I think the most
important thing to do now is to move technical Ruby discussions over
comp.lang.misc. That helps spread the word about Ruby, whereas arguing with
the people on news.groups just wastes your time. Since you know Ruby much
better than I do, I think it would be best if you discussed technical Ruby
stuff with interested people on comp.lang.misc, and that I, as the RFD
submittor, respond once or twice a day to new.groups. (I think that will
satisfy the minimal requirements between now and the CFV (call for votes),
if we decide to push for it.)

> Despite that I would think, that "me-too" messages from our Japanese
> friends would count much more than from us non-japanese. Because the
> Japanese Ruby community is *very* large compared to the international
> one. If (I am dreaming now ;-) e.g. every Japanese friend of Ruby
> would also post such a "me-too" article to news.groups, the critiziser
> (I do not know the right word) would see, that nearly *all* Japanese
> are also interested in this topic, and then perhaps they would agree
> to take the count of *all* daily Ruby mailing lists articles sum up
> together ...

Interesting idea. I think an even more effective way to use their efforts
would be for them to carry on their discussions on comp.lang.misc.

Conrad