On Thu, Jul 21, 2005 at 06:48:33PM +0900, Brian Candler wrote:

> The obvious alternative if OCaml is as fast as C: somebody just needs to
> rewrite the Ruby interpreter in OCaml :-)

That would be a really large task.  OCaml has almost nothing in common
with C so rewritting Ruby in OCaml would require a complete rewrite.
On the other hand, OCaml has good lexing and parsing tools.

Also, OCaml is as fast as C in certain situations and not in others.
With strict OCaml (no C extension bugs), it's impossible to have many
classes of errors that are common with C such as buffer overflows and
other pointer related bugs.  To me, that is it's real benefit.  Of
course, that's also a benefit with Ruby :-)

> Regards,
>
> Brian.

Rick

--