Kev Jackson wrote:

[big snip]

> Also (again very pesonally, could be miles off here), I think that there
> is a revolution around the corner, with dynamic languages coming more to
> the fore of mainstream programming.  I look back at what Java did (a lot
> that was good), javadoc (spawned a lot of other code documentation
> tools), vm design, no pointers, safe code, sandbox for applets, unit
> testing (ok Junit), broke programmers away from the IDE (yay Ant!).  I'm
> at the point where I'm looking at Java and thinking about it in the
> past, ie I don't see anything innovative coming from Java in the future
> Java5 did it for me, I didn't find anything compelling in it, just a "me
> too" shout at C#.

Man, this makes me feel old.

Giving Java credit for vm design, no pointers, safe code, unit testing
(SUnuit!), etc. is laughable.

Smalltalk (and others too...) provided all of this LONG before Java was
even a twinkling in the eye of Sun's marketing & sales departments.

[rest snipped]

--
Daryl Richter
Platform Author & Director of Technology

((         Brandywine Asset Management          )
  ( "Expanding the Science of Global Investing"  )
  (          http://www.brandywine.com           ))