Hello Michael,

> It outputs:
> and hangs on the second try.
> I guess it's the great compatibility of Oracle, isn't it?
>
> Has anybody some hints?

I can't reproduce it. My version prints the number and a proper error
message "invalid username/password; logon denied" every time. So maybe
this is Oracle 7 specific.

ruby 1.6.3 (2001-03-19) [i686-linux]
Linux dogma 2.2.16-22 #1 Tue Aug
Oracle 8.1.x (8i, that is)
oracle extension oracle-0.2.11.tar.gz

	- Aleksi

# [rubytalk:14856]

require "oracle"

3.times do |i|
  p i
  begin
    ORAconn.logon "foo", "bar", "the_tns_name_for_the_db"
  rescue OCIError => err
    p err

This transmission is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. The message may contain information that is private and confidential. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any distribution, dissemination or copying of this message is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by return E-mail and remove the original message. Thank You. The content of this message is not given or endorsed by HEX unless such content relates to the official business of the firm.
HEX reserves the right to monitor all E-mail communications through its networks. The attachments have been scanned for viruses prior to leaving our E-mail server. HEX shall not be liable for any consequences of any virus being passed on.