Yukihiro Matsumoto writes:
> Hi,
>
> In message "[ruby-talk:01488] Discussion happens on news.groups"
>     on 00/02/18, Clemens Hintze <c.hintze / gmx.net> writes:
>
> |I do not know whether you are aware of the fact, that there is an
> |on-going discussion about the RFD of comp.lang.ruby. At the moment it
> |looks not too sweet for us, IMHO.
>
> My site does not subscribe news.groups, so that I don't know what is
> going on there.  But what can I do for comp.lang.ruby?

Hmm! If not you, then perhaps other could also mention they would like
to see a comp.lang.ruby.

BTW: While I am writing this, I am wonder, whether you are special
     in the sense that you are the *creator* of Ruby. And indeed, you
     would have interest in such a group. So perhaps "me-too" articles
     of any other friend would count much more than yours. (Sorry! It
     is not meant as insult ... :-) You could answer questions, of
     course, but perhaps it would be better to *not* participate on
     such discussions of the RFD? Let us do it! But, of course, if you
     have any idea let us know ...

Despite that I would think, that "me-too" messages from our Japanese
friends would count much more than from us non-japanese. Because the
Japanese Ruby community is *very* large compared to the international
one. If (I am dreaming now ;-) e.g. every Japanese friend of Ruby
would also post such a "me-too" article to news.groups, the critiziser
(I do not know the right word) would see, that nearly *all* Japanese
are also interested in this topic, and then perhaps they would agree
to take the count of *all* daily Ruby mailing lists articles sum up
together ...

> We had almost 200 *English* mails here this week.  I saw dozen of
> articles at comp.lang.perl.misc and comp.lang.python about Ruby,
> actually about article on IBM developerWorks.  Isn't that enough?

It seems not to be, I guess! My fellow told me "only traffic counts!"
He is also maintainer of a national newsgroup or hierarchy (I have
forgot). He has told me: "Do not dare to issue a RFD *without* the
prove of enough traffic. Do not even think about it!"

They seem to think that if we would have need of a international forum
(they call it big-8), we first would have posted in comp.lang.misc.
And because it becomes too much, we would RFD an own group...

They seem not to understand, that we have done it because of not
disturbing others...

They furthermore seem to think, that ca. 125 members of ruby-talk are
not enough to create such a group. As they think our Japanese friends
only use Japanese groups and lists using Japanese language to
communicate, our English group would not be interesting for most of
the current Ruby user.

> If it isn't, let's move to comp.lang.misc.  Ask me or us anything
> about Ruby there.

I have thoght about, whether we should apply a mechanism that forward
all future messages from ruby-talk to comp.lang.misc automatically.
That would bear some traffic there. But I do not know, if it is
necessary or desirable now!

BTW: The Python community has also such mailing gate. All messages
send to a special mailing list will be also posted in
comp.lang.python. And all articles posted in comp.lang.python, will
also be send to the mailing list. Nice feature ... :-)

> 							matz.

\cle

--
Clemens Hintze  mailto: c.hintze / gmx.net