On Thu, 21 Jul 2005, Daniel Berger wrote:

> Keith Fahlgren wrote:
>> Hey,
>>
>> I'd like to have a daemon process that watches for new files in a specific
>> directory and then runs a command on them once they're there. It seems like
>> a problem someone would have solved before but I haven't been able to dig
>> up anything about it on the web yet (perhaps I'm not phrasing it
>> correctly). Just thought I'd bounce a question here before I started coding
>> it myself.
>>
>> Any thoughts?
>
> There's Ara Howard's "dirwatch".  For Win32, there's win32-changejournal.
>
> I don't know if dirwatch works on Win32.

nope - though it could be made to pretty easily.  basically i wrote it because
of the lack of a changejournal type functionality for *nix filesystems in
general.  plus dirwatch is really designed to setup a processing system which
runs external programs on files as they arrive in directories vs. running a
ruby block or some such.

cheers.

-a