On Thu, 21 Jul 2005, Phil Tomson wrote:

> In article <Pine.LNX.4.62.0507192121430.10750 / harp.ngdc.noaa.gov>,
> Ara.T.Howard <Ara.T.Howard / noaa.gov> wrote:

>>> Is that an Irish animal that can go for a week
>>> without a drink?
>>
>> yes.  ;-)
>>

>>> Seriously, I've never looked at that one. Nor
>>> Haskell either.
>>>
>>> I know I should look at things like that, but my
>>> to-do list is already formidable.
>>
>> i bought a very expensive book on it from
>>
>>   http://www.ffconsultancy.com/products/ocaml_for_scientists/
>>
>> it was quite good but bloody expensive.  ping me and i'll loan it to you.
>>

> So, Ara, what do you think of OCaml after reading that book?
> (investigating OCaml has been on my TODO list for a few years now, but
> it'll have to wait till my thesis is done).

it seems extremely powerful for doing algorithmic work and the compilation
produces binaries that can be as fast, or faster, than c whilst you get things
like adts, gc, first class functions, etc. all built-in.  frankly it makes you
wonder why someone would use c++ or java.  btw.  microsoft has stolen ocaml
and branded it F# so they must think there's something there too.  i've been
looking for a project to do with it but haven't had time to breath - i'll know
more then.  i can say that even writing 'hello world' requires a paradigm
shift if you haven't (like me) done any functional coding before - it's quite
a switch.  about the only thing i didn't like is how is sort of does
everything : functional, imperitive, oo, etc. in a way that vaguely reminded
me of perl.  in summary, the code i've read is extremely concise considering
the speed - but not as consice as ruby for most things.  that being said it
seems like a good candidate to do certain things in using something

   develop fast, maintain fast, runs      : ruby
   develop fast, maintain fast, runs med  : ruby + c ext
   develop med, maintain med, runs fast   : ocaml
   develop slow, maintain slow, runs fast : c

or something like that.  thing is, being in research, i can't justify dropping
below one or two for many things and haven't done so since reading the book.

cheers.

-a