Hi,

I'm messing with some dates and (being new to ruby), I've come across an
interesting problem

I have a new date object

start_date = Date.new 1901, 01, 01

now I can call

start_date.respond_to?(:to_time)

and everything is fine, and I get true back

assert_equal true, start_date.respond_to?(:to_time)

however

time = start_date.to_time

breaks with an Argument out of range error

This is on the version of Ruby on my WinXP machine here at work, (one
click installer - cheers for that, so much easier than the hell that is
installing on MacOSX)

Any ideas what I should be doing?  Looking at the API docs, a Date
object shouldn't respond to to_time - indeed I can't find the to_time
method - but maybe I'm looking in the wrong place

Sorry if this is a ridiculous message, but I'm kinda interested in how I
should approach this - it's someone elses code and I don't want to use a
Time object instead of the original date, I think it's a bug in the code
(that I found - w00t!), but I want to be sure before I post bug reports
etc etc

Kev