Devin Mullins wrote:

> BTW, I'm not *completely* anti-Java. I do, after all, like the
> package/import thing it's got going, even if it does require decent IDE
> support not to be painful.

Nor am I. I started learning it years ago, but since my job
didn't require it, the culture surrounding it (read: bloat)
grew faster than my ability to soak it up.

When I first heard of it in '95, I hoped it was going to be
something revolutionary. I served as a reviewer for the
Sun docs. I found out quickly it was just another C-family
language. Incrementally better than (say) C++, perhaps not
as good as Objective C (matter of opinion of course) and
probably not as good as C#.

But, bottom line, evolution in that branch of the family
is too slow for my taste. I knew that even before I found
Ruby.

I was probably looking for Smalltalk and never knew it. And
conventional wisdom says that Lisp is the prince of all
languages (though I never learned it).

But I am happy with Ruby until something better comes along.
Such as Ruby 2.0.

Hal