Daniel Amelang wrote:

>>In Java, classes aren't objects.
>>

>Sorry Hal:
>
>http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/reflect/class/index.html

Close, but no cigar. Classes aren't objects. *Sure* there is this
magical Class object which you can use to get access to magical Field
objects and Method objects, but that means that java.lang.String.class
is an object, not java.lang.String. Which means, in the most practical
sense, that Daniel Brockman's little polymorph example isn't possible,
as written. (Yeah, you could pull it off if you require the client to
pass in a String of the qualified name, or the corresponding Class
object, and if you make extensive use of the Reflection API, but that
just proves that classes aren't objects.)

Am I being pedantic? Maybe. But it's certainly enough of a difference
for me to notice, and like Ruby for it.

Devin
I wasn't mocking Java for having magical Method objects, btw. :)