MJ Ray <markj+comp.lang.ruby / cloaked.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
: You're missing the overheads from the compilation and lack of caching.
: An app server app only has to be loaded once, rather than
: reinterpreted each time the page is executed, and it can cache the
: results of the intermediate stages.

Umm.. no.  Overhead from compiliation is in my little table, under
'compiled scripts'.  That's sort of the point of embedded scripting, and
the primary difference from CGI.
Caching is in no way limited to application servers; I use caching all
the time in Aolserver, which we would best describe as an embedded Tcl
scripting webserver.

I think we are either using different terminology or you are unfamiliar
with this problem domain.

: Although embedded scripting can work around these, it usually doesn't.
: If it's built into the framework of a good app server, you get them
: every time.

And we need the overhead of an app server rather than a good
implementation of embedded Ruby, why, exactly?