> >> RMV runs on Windows NT 4.0/W2K/XP or better.
> >
> >why this platform requirement?
>
> Because we don't have the time or manpower to provide a Linux port at
> this time. It is impossible to write something like RMV without using
> C++/assembler and patching the Ruby binary at runtime to get access to
> the object creation and destruction methods. You cannot do this with
> Ruby/Python/Perl/Java/etc. Even if you could they would be too slow for
> this type of thing.

Makes sense.  Honestly, I was just curious.  I suspected there might
be underlying nastiness when you mentioned binary patching, but being
ignorant of many important details it was a guess and I wanted to
excluded the possibility of some other constraint (silly GUI or
something).

Thanks.

> Whats about a standard "ruby_d.exe" which adds more hooks into the
> virtual engine and still works with all extensions ?

Again, I'm ignorant - but this does sound pretty cool.

In any case, I'd really love the ability to memory profile ruby code.
I've found it difficult to do with the ad hoc methods I've utilized.

Cameron