--- SomeDude <somedude / somewhere.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm interested in learning programming and have
> messed around with PHP for a
> little while.  I've been hearing a lot about
> Ruby/Ruby On Rails.  I'm
> interested in a language for an absolute
> beginner...is Ruby/Ruby On Rails a
> good way to go or are there better languages for
> starters?

As a fellow Ruby and programming-in-general beginner,
I have found Ruby to be very logical and easy to use.
I can't compare it to any other languages, since I
havn't learnt any.  But, I will say that I tried
learning Python in the past and I don't remember it
being as simple.

As someone else mentioned though, work out what your
reason is for wanting to learn.  It will be much
easier to learn any language then.  For me, I have a
couple of linux servers, and I want to be able to
write some custom scripts for management of these.  So
far, Ruby is proving excellent for this task.

I can definately recommend the following tutorial for
a general introduction to programming concepts.  I
still don't fully understand OO, but it explains the
basics:

http://pine.fm/LearnToProgram/

Tristan