Devin Mullins wrote:
> Casper wrote:
>
> >1.   class MyController < ActionController::Base
> >2.     helper :my_helper
> >3.   end
> >
> >I see this construct in Ruby on Rails a lot, and I don't know what is
> >going on in line 2.
> >
> >Is this invoking a method called "helper" with the argument
> >":my_helper"? And if so, when does this get invoked?
> >
> >Thanks.
> >

> You are on the money. I will attempt to explain, but you should read the
> PickAxe for the full Ruby goodness.

<snip>

Thanks for the detailed explanation.

I guess two reasons that I had difficult figuring out are (1) Ruby
allows executable stuff to go where I expect to see declarations, but
moreover (2) Ruby allows method calls to have their arguments
delineated with or without parentheses. In particular, I don't
understand the why you would want this. Is there a good motivation to
allow it?