Devin Mullins <twifkak / comcast.net> writes:

> Daniel Brockman wrote:
>
>>> Also, I like the ability to do a LISP-with-commas syntax,
>>> though Ruby disallows it sometimes.
>>
>> When does Ruby disallow it?
>
> Well, discourages, but not disallows.

[...]

> ruby -we'p(File.exist? "")'
> -e:1: warning: parenthesize argument(s) for future version
> false
> ---
>
> I'm confused... what mistake do they think I'm going to make?

Yes, I too do not see the point of this warning.  What will
happen to code like this in a °»future version°…?

    assert(foo.respond_to? bar)

Another tongue-in-cheek suggestion:  If this

    assert foo.respond_to? bar

is too confusing and ambiguous in the light of this,

    assert foo.respond_to? bar, baz

we could borrow the °∆$°« operator from Haskell:

    assert $ foo.respond_to? bar

This operator always means the same thing as an opening
parenthesis with a corresponding closing one at the end of
the expression.  As I said, tounge-in-cheek.

--
Daniel Brockman <daniel / brockman.se>

    So really, we all have to ask ourselves:
    Am I waiting for RMS to do this?   --TTN.