>===== Original Message From Dave Thomas <Dave / PragmaticProgrammer.com> =====
>"Benjamin J. Tilly" <ben_tilly / operamail.com> writes:
>
>> >Is that it? But this doesn't hold if d is negative: 10 % -9 = -8
>> >Argh!  Maybe I still don't quite get it.
>> >
>> You have it right, and I would call that answer a bug in Ruby.
>
>I'm no expert on this, and writing those couple of pages for class
>Numeric took way longer than it should. If it makes a difference,
>though, Ruby gives you both #modulo and #remainder. These are
>distinguished by the sign they take: modulo takes the sign of the
>divisor, while remainder has the sign of the dividend.
>
>If you dig back in the archives a year or so you'll find a thread
>about this very subject (which is what convinced Matz to change the
>1.6.1 behavior).

I found it.  I guess my position is the same as the one stated at:

http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/3145

In which case that answer is not a bug.

I still slightly prefer the answers that I gave, but not that
much considering how many other considerations there are, and
the desire for compatibility with Python.

Cheers,
Ben