On Monday 18 July 2005 7:41 am, tsuraan wrote:

> I'd have to say that all the "RoR 10x faster than Java" articles are
> really giving rails a bit of a bad name.  Around here, RoR is somewhat
> of a joke, just because of all these claims of whiter teeth, bigger
> smiles, cleaner floors, etc, that Rails will bring.  It just makes the
> whole framework seem like an enourmous marketing effort, which to many
> technical people indicates a lack of quality.  I'm sure that if we
> gave Rails a try here, it would be quickly accepted, but breaking
> through the cynicism is really hard when a product is being so heavily
> hyped.

This is something of a mixed bag.  Rails has been marketed very heavily, true.
The name is all over the place, and has been for quite a while, and many of
the claims, taken individually, are quite open to attack and criticism.
However, at the same time, hasn't that marketing also worked quite
successfully?

If RoR had not been hyped like this, would your Java shop know about it at
all?  Would there be an enthusiastic crowd developing for it, and a much
larger enthusiastic crowd buying books about it and using it?

Probably not.

So, although there is a _definite_ negative side to DHH's marketing style, and
it definitely turns some segment of the audience off, I can't sit here as an
observer and conclude that the style is anything but a success for him.

Kirk Haines