On Tue, 24 Apr 2001, Conrad Schneiker wrote:

> So far none of the previous replies to my earlier post addressed what I
> thought was the more interesting part. Now that things have hopefully
> simmered down a bit, let me try again, minus the other stuff.
> > # [O]ne of my reasons against adding Scheme-style continuations to the
> > # language (this has seriously been proposed by the Stackless folks)
> > # is that it can't be implemented in a JVM.
> > I'm interested in knowing what people who are knowledgeable about such
> > things think about the major implications of this (if any) for Jython and
> > JRuby, pro or con.

First of all, it's possible to do anything computable with any computer,
because they are all Turing-complete. Now the issue is, at which level do
you want to implement the interpreter/compiler. If you want Ruby/Python
calls to flow just like Java calls (and ease the interface of the
interpreter with actual Java code), then you have to leave continuations
out... or implement them using Threads instead (!!!).

Disclaimer: I know nothing about all of this. =)

matju