David Heinemeier Hansson wrote:
>>Are you talking about what Rails does, or about how some framework in
>>general might do this?   The comment from Joe Van Dyk suggests that now,
>>in Rails, you can evolve your object model and the database will
>>automagically change with it; no more need to "code" in SQL.
>

> Exactly.

Well, not exactly, or not really what I was thinking of.  I meant one
can define a class, with whatever properties and behavior, and Rails
would determine the proper database structure from my actual class
code, not from a separate Ruby command to go create a table.  But being
able to avoid running a special configuration too, (i.e, a SQL editor or
admin GUI) in order to write Ruby is a plus in any event.

An annoyance I have with Rails is that when I want to see if an object
has some particular property I have to go run an SQL app or look
someplace other than in the class definition.

The code at

http://api.rubyonrails.org/classes/ActiveRecord/Migration.html

suggests that the object/table definitions are occurring someplace other
than in the class definition itself, something I'm not quite, um,
"jiggly" with.

James