Dominik Schlter <schlu-do / gmx.net> wrote:
> Tim Hammerquist <tim / vegeta.ath.cx> wrote:
> > That's dangerously like saying gasoline cars are better than
> > electric or hydrogen because it's easier to find a gas station.
>
> Hmm - not sure about your example, as electricity outlets are even
> easier to find than gas stations. But I would take "better" as "better
> suited for today's life" - and then your above statement is true.

Oh, I have plenty of outlets in my house.  But the 100ft extension cord
I'd need to charge my car from my upstairs apartment is an unattractive
solution.

> Or if you look at Ruby: I really like it for administrative scripts
I still prefer perl for admin scripts, simply because it's closer to the
shell/OS environment.  It's still significantly less elegant than ruby,
but closer to what I need.  But about anything I do that requires user
interaction, console/xterm included, I like ruby.

> and I'm toying with Rails on my PowerBook.

I'm about to take a closer look at Rails, also on my powerbook, in fact.
It's taken me a while to get around to it, as my web development has
slowed significantly in the past few years.  I don't do it
professionally anymore.

> All these things are much easier to find, if you only look for PHP
> - that's what I wanted to say with my statement.

I understood, and I agree.

Did I mention my car still uses gasoline?  Idealism is great in an ideal
world.  In the real one, compromises must be made. :)

Tim Hammerquist
--
I shall never go back now that I have tasted of sweet, *sweet* invincibility.
It tastes like varnish.  Not many people know that.