Hi,

Tim Hammerquist <tim / vegeta.ath.cx> wrote:

> That's dangerously like saying gasoline cars are better than electric or
> hydrogen because it's easier to find a gas station.

Hmm - not sure about your example, as electricity outlets are even
easier to find than gas stations. But I would take "better" as "better
suited for today's life" - and then your above statement is true.

Electric or hydrogen cars might be "better" from an engeneering and
environmental point of view. But if you see your car as a way of
transportation and not only as a technical masterpiece, it is more
important to be able to get your fuel whenever you need it[0], IMHO.

Or if you look at Ruby: I really like it for administrative scripts and
I'm toying with Rails on my PowerBook. But my current web hoster
(domainfactory) e.g. only supports Ruby, no Rails, no fast-cgi or
mod_ruby. I'd like to do one of my next projects as a Rails application,
but that means I'd have to find me a new hoster being able to handle
different admin-c (the customer) and billing address/accounts (me),
offering something to grow with my needs, provide good support and
possibly be inside the EU. All these things are much easier to find, if
you only look for PHP - that's what I wanted to say with my statement.

Regards,

Dominik.

[0] And I need it quite often as I'm driving a 30 year old Citroen AK400
with a gas tank of about 25l ... :-).