Hello Belorion,

>> I dropped the whole OO vs not true OO but he claimed
>> PHP has been OO since v3.

B> Lol, that's pretty funny.  It may have had a few OO type
B> implementations, but they were hacked and incomplete.  PHP4 OO was
B> also incomplete and felt very hackish to me.  (I can't say anything
B> about v5, because I haven't used it ... because I have Ruby/Rails now
B> ;).

PHP 5 is much much better. They only have the same problem that
disqualifies PHP for more complicated things: All source code must be
loaded and parsed all the time on each request.

Because of the PHP include/require mechanism and programming style only
some of this parsing tasks can be cached by 3rd party add-ons to the PHP VM.

B> Basically, PHP started out as a small personal project (like many
B> languages) and has evolved over time.  Features were added as needed,
B> but the core remained relatively unchanged for quite some time, and
B> they simply built around it.  Ruby, on the other hand, was built from
B> the ground up with OO in mind.

But it was with build with web sites in mind.

And it is still the best tool out there for simple websites that
only need a little scripts. For these millions of websites rails would
be completely unusable because of costs for
introduction/resources/maintainance.

The main PHP problem is just that too many people thought (and even
still think) it scales well with increased application size.