On 7/14/05, David Douthitt <ssrat / mailbag.com> wrote:
> That was it exactly.  Thanks!
>
> Now..... where was that documented again?  ;-)
>
> I didn't see anything in "The Ruby Way" and I didn't have my PickAxe
> book with me.  The PerlTk documents don't have a "Variable" or a
> "TkVariable" listed anywhere.

They don't?

http://perlhelp.web.cern.ch/PerlHelp/site/lib/Tk/Checkbutton.html

WIDGET-SPECIFIC OPTIONS (for checkbutton)
Name: variable
Class: Variable
Switch: -variable
    Specifies reference to a variable to set to indicate whether or
not this button is selected. Defaults to \$widget->{'Value'} member of
the widget's hash. In general perl variables are undef unless
specifically initialized which will not match either default -onvalue
or default -offvalue.

Also, you can always use
http://ruby.activeventure.com/programmingruby/book/ext_tk.html as a
substitute for the pickaxe paper copy.

But yeah, Tk documentation is fairly confusing.  It's mostly because
Tk documentation itself is so confusing.