On Jul 14, 2005, at 2:57 PM, Dennis Roberts wrote:

> Dan could you explain the difference between using regular expressions
> and a bonafide parser?

It's usually a measure of how robust the parsing is.  I love Regexp
as much as the next guy, but when you expand them to handle parsing
they tend to get a little shaky.  It's often easy to come up with
edge cases they don't handle well.

There are no absolutes, of course.  I've seen good Regexp based
parsers and non-Regexp based parsers that were poor.  However, it
often holds that non-Regexp parsers are more robust.

James Edward Gray II