--- Daniel Berger <Daniel.Berger / qwest.com> wrote:

> If you only want 1 line per iteration, then your
> best bet is to use
> IO.foreach.  If you only want to slurp X number of
> lines into a
> variable, then just keep in mind that IO.readlines
> returns an array.
> So, you can use a range as the index and do:
>
> # No need to use the File class, btw
> lines = IO.readlines(Log_File)[0..49]
>
> Just keep in mind that, even though you're only
> selecting 50 lines, the
> entire file has been slurped into memory.

Thanks again.  IO.readlines(file)[a..b] worked a
treat.
I will have a look at foreach.

Once i am able to understand the reference more
easily, I'm sure the doors of opportunity will open
up.  For now, I know the logical way i want to do
something, but I'm not sure the ways ruby allows it.

So far its been so simple though, its great.

Cheers.
Tristan