Hey preston-
     One way to fix this would be to put /usr/local/bin in your path
BEFORE /usr/bin. That way the new ruby will be called instead of the
old one. If you don't like that one then just rename the /usr/bin/
ruby and friends to /usr/bin/ruby.orig  and it will still be there
but never will be called by accident.
     And in case you are having any othyer difficulties I made this
tutorial on installing the whole rails/lighttpd/fcgi stack on RHEL
from source so maybe it will be of some use to you.

Install the complete Ruby on Rails and Lighttpd/fastcgi/php Stack
from source with the fastcgi dev kit and the pcre's. This has been
tested on RHEL4, Debian Sarge, Ubuntu and OSX. It should work on most
Linux Distro's and probably BSD as well(not tested)
Get Ruby1.8.2

wget http://rubyforge.org/frs/download.p...by-1.8.2.tar.gz
tar xvzf ruby-*
cd ruby-1.8.2
./configure
make
make test
sudo make install

Get Ruby gems

wget http://rubyforge.org/frs/download.p...gems-0.8.10.tgz
tar xvzf rubygems*
cd rubygems*
sudo ruby setup.rb

Get Rails and a few other gems

sudo gem install rails RedCloth search_generator
salted_login_generator production_log_analyzer
answer yes to all dependencies

Get mysql-ruby C bindings (the pure ruby ones suck)

wget http://www.tmtm.org/en/mysql/ruby/mysql-ruby-2.6.tar.gz
tar zxvf mysql-ruby-*
cd mysql-ruby-*
ruby extconf.rb --with-mysql-config
make
sudo make install

download fastcgi developers kit

wget http://fastcgi.com/dist/fcgi.tar.gz
tar xvzf fcgi-2.4.0.tar.gz
cd fcgi*
./configure
make
sudo make install

Get the new non memory leaking ruby-fastcgi bindings

wget http://sugi.nemui.org/pub/ruby/fcgi...gi-0.8.6.tar.gz
tar xzvf ruby-fcgi*
ruby install.rb config --without-ext
ruby install.rb setup
sudo ruby install.rb install

We need the correct pcre .so for lighttpd to work correctly

wget ftp://ftp.csx.cam.ac.uk/pub/softwar...pcre-5.0.tar.gz
tar xzvf pcre-5.0.tar.gz
cd pcre-*
./configure
make
sudo make install

Get lighttpd

wget http://www.lighttpd.net/download/lighttpd-1.3.14.tar.gz
tar xzvf lighttpd-1.3.13.tar.gz
cd lighttpd-*
./configure
make
sudo make install

Compile php as a fast-cgi binary The main thing here is the following
configure options. You can add whatever else you like to your php
binary but these are needed for fast-cgi support.

$ ./configure \
--enable-fastcgi \
--enable-discard-path \
--enable-force-cgi-redirect \

Lighttpd Launcher Script

Here is a link for a sweet enhancement. Put this script in your
RAILS_ROOT/script folder and put the lighttpd.conf file in RAILS_ROOT/
config. Now you can launch your rails app by cdng into your
RAILS_ROOT for your app and typing:
$ruby script/lighty -p 7500 -e development (or whatever port & env
you want to use)

Now you can hit http://localhost:7500/ and you will get your app
running on lighttpd no muss no fuss. Very sweet for development. Here
is the link: http://www.bigbold.com/snippets/posts/show/303 . Name
the first ruby script lighty and name the config file lighttpd.conf.
Now every time you start your app this way is creates a new
lighttpd.conf in /tmp and starts lighttpd up with that file. This way
you can give it command line options as to what port to bind to and
others. I using this for development and it is sweet!

Hope that helps-
-Ezra Zygmuntowicz
Yakima Herald-Republic
WebMaster