> Right now Rails is probably the number 1 way to make money with Ruby
> (the web is king after all), but I think it has really just started the
> revolution. It is bringing a lot of fresh blood into the Ruby community,
> and while every Rails developer may not expand into a full-blown Ruby
> developer, many will, and each new person will add that much more value
> to the community.

We actually just yesterday started a list on the Rails wiki in order
to find out how many people are actually making a living with Ruby on
Rails. And boy, quite a few already do! There are 110+ people from ~20
countries that are "...earning a substantial or full paycheck from
working professionally with Ruby on Rails":

http://wiki.rubyonrails.com/rails/show/WorkingProfessionallyWithRails

And with 5,000+ orders of the Rails book, I'm pretty sure that list is
going to grow rapidly through the rest of the year. We're scheduled to
hit OSCON, JAOO, EuroOSCON, and other conferences with presentations
and keynotes to help raise awareness even further.
--
David Heinemeier Hansson
http://www.basecamphq.com   -- Online project management