Scott Ellsworth wrote:
> In article <8HKdneMVh9MZDUjfSa8jmA / karoo.co.uk>,
>  "daz" <dooby / d10.karoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>           if (!found) then
>>              puts "Unknown  #{f}"
>>           end
>>           data = nil
>>           GC.start   # garbage collect
>
> This did seem to drop the memory usage on my MacOS X 10.4.2 system.
>
> I will investigate the Find.find command next to see if I can get rid
> of some recursion.  An array of 5500 paths should not be _that_ big,
> at least in comparison with four or five levels of directory depth.

The problem might be that the data is still around while you enter the
recursion.  If you want to verify that this is the case you can simply do
data = nil after processing.  But: You definitely need to throw out the
recursion from propath() - otherwise you'll be processing directories over
and over again (I smell something like O(n*n) here)!

Kind regards

    robert