Preston Crawford wrote:

>I know Java has a head start and has the backing of many large
>corporations, so it's perhaps not an apt comparison to make. But I like
>the language. And I like the philosophy of Ruby. To what extent this is
>translating into projects and jobs, however, I have no idea.
>
>Preston

I've been able to finagle some things and get Ruby instituted as the
Preferred Scripting Language at my (admittedly small) shop.  We don't do
Java.  There isn't any point for us.  We _have_ had some .Net stuff
worked up though, and I've managed to bring our main .Net guy over to
the red.  He seems to have more fun using it and for some reason doing
ambitious thigs with Ruby doesn't seem to threaten him as much as doing
the same things with .Net did.

I'm trying to move everything we do over to Ruby, but that will take
some doing (and a managable spreadsheet-like GUI widget, which is an
entirely diff'rent matter).  I'm hoping that knocking out a couple of
rails apps to replace existing clunkers will help.

I'm not sure if there are many big-time Ruby shops out there.  I'm not
sure it matters to me any more.  Ruby will continue to be my language of
choice and I'll continue to use it for my personal projects while I'm
waiting for someone to hire me to work on theirs.